incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Is it worth looking at Confluence Wiki Again?
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:50:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Moving this point to its own thread
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> another
> seems
> >>
> >> As Pedro commented, you don't need a newbie to help with the conversion.
> >> But in the long run, I volunteer to learn whatever is needed to support
> >> the MW system. All I have to offer is that I am a sysop on the live
> >> wiki,
> >
> > You have root level access to the current box in Hamburg?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Another option to consider is that of content translation: MediaWiki
> to Confluence.  Remember. Confluence is fully supported by Apache
> Infra.  We would also find a lot of people on the list who could help
> write and test wiki text conversion code.  It is just string
> manipulation, right?  How hard can that be?  Even I can help with
> that.
>
> But seriously, the MW plans were always precarious.  We did not have a
> deep bench of expertise on the sys admin side of that package.  Even
> if we have a volunteer or two step in now, aren't we still rather
> thin?  Wouldn't we still be one "life change" away from being back
> where we are now?  But if we can figure out a content-level migration
> to Confluence wiki, then we would have something much more sustainable
> long term.

Ai yi yi! What does it take to import the MW info? And I guess I mean
primarily infrastructure.

It looks as if there are utilities for converting htnl to Confluence markup,
which is what I was interested in for dealing with the NL sights and perhaps
other areas.

Hopefully the main wiki users will weigh in on this.

> Just an idea.

> -Rob

MzK

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and
 on which it is impossible to be silent."
                                                   -- Victor Hugo