incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Is it worth looking at Confluence Wiki Again?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:41:51 GMT
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com>wrote:

> --- On Tue, 9/27/11, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As Rob Weir has put it ...
> > >
> > > So obviously there is limited volunteer bandwidth to
> > > migrate the wiki.
> > > And I've heard from several people, on and off
> > > the list, that much of what is on the wiki is
> > > not very useful.
> > >

> > uh, well...I don't know bout this. I was under the
> > impression that MUCH of developer info was here.
> >  Others would need to weigh in but I think it was
> > widely used because of the ease of use.
> >
> Just my word of advice:
>
> Check the MediaWiki at http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/
>
> If we take out information about Hg (dead),
> the Development Teams and Projects (which will have to
> be reorganized), Old News, the issue tracker ...
>
> Is the information left worth it to run through a
> MW-->CWiki conversion effort?

Yes, the projects need some reorganization, but I doubt if all the
development stuff should be removed. It simply hasn't gone anywhere -- yet.
The problem is NOT the conversion effort (a one time deal) but the
maintenance effort.

*IF* someone(s) would step up to be the MW guru, there wouldn't be an issue
but we're outside the "infra" workings.

> I think given the license situation we should just
> leave that stuff as read-only for now and do all new
> work on CWiki (or MoinMoin).

Well OK, good enough and I would agree with this.
After looking at the old wiki this am, it seems someone from the "es" area
has made quite a few changes/additions, and the front page itself had been
modified this am. Of course, there was that "throw pillows" page addition??!

and ps. Does anyone here actually know HOW to put the old wiki in
read-only???

> Pedro.

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
           -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39