incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Is it worth looking at Confluence Wiki Again?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:04:16 GMT
I realized after I posted this that I should have looked at Pedro's request
ticket first, so sorry about that.

Re--doing it ourselves???

OK, here we go again. It's about current and long-term administration in my
mind.

Given the stagnant state of this set-up, and again, administration, I truly
do not think we can afford to diverge from some well-known and supported
path on this. Just look at where we are now -- Terry has left and no one
seems to be able to take over what HAS been established at:

http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Main_Page

I will try to spend the rest of this week looking at Pedro's ticket to infra
on this and attempt to determine what can be done.

Right now, there is STILL activity on the current wiki
and no one seems to be minding the store.

I'm kinda concerned about this...

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org>wrote:

> -1 I think there still many things that there need to be done for MW but I
> also think that users will appreciate having their familiar environment in
> this wiki.
>
> I will vote to keep MW as Plan A. Also will start getting more involved as
> the BZ.
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com
> > >wrote:

> > > Yes, here is the post I sent to the infrastructure guys.
> > > I guess they have the MW data and the confluence know-how
> > > but it will probably take some time to evaluate this so
> > > we cannot discard the MediaWiki VM just yet.
> > >
> > > Pedro.
> > > ________
> > > Hi guys;
> > >
> > > Sometime ago I suggested this utility on the ooo-dev list:
> > >

> https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/UWC/Universal+Wiki+Converter
> > >
> > > I didn't follow up on it because, as you know, there was a
> > > volunteer from the OOo community doing the MediaWiki
> > > configuration.
> > >
> > > Since the volunteer has left, perhaps infra could do a test
> > > conversion? This would probably not go as well as the bugzilla
> > > conversion but I think it would make it easier since we
> > > wouldn't have to find another admin and have the extra problems
> > > related to adapting new software to the Apache Infrastructure.
> > >
> > > Let me know if using this would be viable and you would like me
> > > to raise a JIRA issue.
> > >

> > My recommendation (FWIW) would be to pass this on to infrastructure.
> > Despite
> > the enormous respect I have for what it took to get MediaWiki up and
> > running
> > for OpenOffice in the past, AND the amount of recent work that Terry did,
> > can fully understand Rob's reasoning on this. As a group, we need to face
> > the fact that things are not what they used to be , and utliize the
> > existing
> > expertise that's available to Apache OO.o now.
> >
> > Setbacks are very disheartening but we do need to learn from them I
> think.
> > It's unfortunate that exploring this alternate possibility may be
> construed
> > as ignoring and killing someone's efforts though -- LOTS of effort I
> might
> > add. I feel very very badly about that.  Unfortunately, this seems to be
> > the nature of much reorganization, especially a reorganization on this
> > scale.
> >
> > So, you have my +1 on filing an issue to infra to explore this
> conversion.
> >

> > > Pedro.
> > >

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Music expresses that which cannot be said and
> >  on which it is impossible to be silent."
> >                                                   -- Victor Hugo
> >

> --
> *Alexandro Colorado*
> [...]

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
           -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39