incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Norbert Thiebaud <nthieb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:30:53 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
> mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
> everyone.

Choosing to use inadequate tools is no excuse to be bad mannered.

> "bad" may be "unpleasant for you"

Not just merely 'unpleasant'

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

Norbert