incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Re : [Discuss] Lost in translation
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:05:45 GMT
On Sep 5, 2011 6:20 AM, "eric b" <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> I'll add further information :  you represent TDF.

I do not represent TDF, Eric; never have.

I do speak freely though, in both communities, and try to say things how I
see them. In this place that's included exploring solutions to community
problems via co-operation with TDF/LibreOffice a few times.

I am merely a volunteer in both projects; a moderator of the ooo-users
mailing list here and the administrator of the Board elections there. I
volunteered for the latter role so that everyone involved could stand for
election if they wanted - since I am not a leader there, I do not intend to
do so.

My focus is and remains a desire to ensure that the wider software freedom
meta-community is well served. My comments about how Apache should act as
steward of the OOo trademarks reflect only that and not a desire to
appropriate them for anyone else (as far as I know TDF don't want them).

I remain convinced that in this project we need to dial up the
community-serving pragmatism and dial down the dogma. In the end what
matters is the use of a fine and free productivity suite by hundreds of
millions of people, and I remain sad that we've not together worked out a
way to protect that usage during the demise of Sun and the departure of
Oracle.

S.