incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Support forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:07:57 GMT
While this is headed "proposal", it is more a suggestion for a direction to
explore than a fully-formed proposal on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.

Given the AOOo project has not made a code release that needs support, and
given there is no timeline to one, perhaps the best plan with user-facing
activities such as the support forums is to leave them functioning as they
are for now.

I realise this may raise other issues:

1. Use of domain name
The project could ask legal@ to temporarily grant permission to the Support
Forums to keep using the domain name until releases have been made at AOOo.
Even then it's possible that we'll want to continue a "licensing"
arrangement.

2. Hosting
In the event Oracle indicates the current hosting will terminate within a
given window, a third-party host outside Apache can most likely be found to
offer continuity for the existing software. Or we could proactively identify
a volunteer hosting arrangement.

3. Oversight
Plenty of the existing volunteers are participating here. Until there is
actually a release to support, there's actually no strong and obvious reason
why this project needs more oversight than that.

In the interests of a compromise that accommodates all interests, I thus
propose we explore how best to leave things unchanged until we actually have
a need to change them. Friendly amendments invited :-)

S.