incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:17:51 GMT

On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Matt Richards wrote:

> Things appear to be quite heated surrounding the forum transition area and I
> fear this is ultimately going to rip apart a very strong existing portion of
> the OOo community if it continues on the path its going.

Cool heads will need to prevail.

> I thought a big
> part of the Apache way is building and sustaining a community surrounding
> the project as well as the project itself.

A few have been strongly passionate, these individuals need to keep their cool and slow down.

> But it appears the only way to
> become a contributor for the time being is to have a developer set of
> skills. Forums/support a long side with documentation require a completely
> different skill set.. I'd hope the ASF has some kind of way to acknowledge
> this level of work.

We have added committers and PPMC members precisely because they had a history with OOo supporting
either the forums, wikis, or website.

Being a Committer is someone who is Committed to the project. That is more than coding. My
path to being voted onto the Apache POI PMC was through providing various support to the community
including answering question on the user list.

There will be a proposal coming and we'll see what happens.

Best Regards,
Dave