incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <>
Subject Re: Concerns about all PDL website material
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:27:25 GMT

On 8 Sep 2011, at 01:08, Dave Fisher wrote:
> No, I am not touching the PDL license. I mean that on pages where I cannot find a filled
an initial writer to acknowledge with their copyright, I will have no copyright, not even
the Apache copyright. If we cannot ascertain the copyright holder then no copyright exists.

I'd welcome correction, but I believe the ocopyright to anything without a valid alternative
license will fall under the terms of the site Terms of Use[1] section 4c (according to section
"You hereby grant to the Host and all Users a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide,
non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and license under Your intellectual property
rights to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute,
perform, display and use Your Submissions (in whole or part) and to incorporate them in other
works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, all subject to the obligation
to retain any copyright notices included in Your Submissions. All Users, the Host, and their
sublicensees are responsible for any modifications they make to the Submissions of others."

ToU prior to this version also carried equivalent clauses. That clause delivers rights equivalent
to ownership to Oracle /and/ to all Users, which would include the participants in this project.
I suggest seeking advice from legal@ but I doubt there is an obstacle here.

View raw message