incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:15:54 GMT

On Sep 13, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>> I have posted a draft for review on the wiki and below.  Changes and improvements
can be made on the Wiki page.  If you propose to modify the page, please make it known here
so that collisions can be avoided.

>> Suggestions here will be selectively incorporated into the Wiki page.  The deadline
is Wednesday, 2011-09-14.

>>  - Dennis
>>
>> *** INITIAL DRAFT BEING REVIEWED BY PODLING:
>>
>> * OpenOffice.org entered incubation 2011-06-13.
>>
>> OpenOffice.org is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing six
productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).  OpenOffice.org is released
on multiple platforms.  Its localizations support 110 languages worldwide.

>> * Most important to address
>>
>> 1) Migration of the legacy OpenOffice.org website's content and services to Apache
infrastructure, including defect tracking, wiki, forums, mailing lists, and cross-service
registration using customized software not already supported by Apache projects and infrastructure.
 Successful negotiation of governance migration of user-supported services brought under incubation.

>> 2) Completion of the IP-review portions of the incubation checklist, which will require
getting an amended SGA from Oracle to cover additional source files; scrubbing of incompatible
notices from SGA-licensed code and resolving provenance of other existing materials being
migrated.

>> 3) A Successful Podling Release
>>
>> * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness
>>
>> The code base pulled over from OpenOffice.org is undergoing development while incompatible
notices remain on the granted code.  This is separate from the scrubbing of dependencies on
incompatibly-licensed material.  RECOMMENDATION: Continue OpenOffice monthly reporting for
another quarter while IP cleanup is pending.

>> The current committers are not equipped to fully resource the migration of OpenOffice.org
sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because
of resource and support limitations.   Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding
systems is not resourced at all.  The ability to make anticipatory modifications of OpenOffice.org
in preparation for staging is also limited, with volunteer support and administration of the
live system possibly eroding.

>> Discussions with contributors of current user-oriented documentation have broken
off;  it is likely that the status quo will continue to be with user-guide contributions made
separately and under licenses the authors prefer.  This is not an immediate issue unless replacement
with ALv2 licensed materials is urgent.  Having updated user-guides reflecting details and
features of future Apache releases is worrisome.

> I think the above misses the point of this section of the report.  The
> IPMC and the ASF Board are not project managers overseeing the
> progress of the podling's work.  They are not concerned about
> "resourcing" the effort. That is our concern, the PPMC.  We need to
> deal with it.
>
> This should be the place to raise any issues that we have that the ASF
> Board or IPMC can actually deal with.  Merely noting that work is hard
> is not really a useful insight.

I agree with Rob.

BTW - I have asked Infra about splitting the podling site so that it is easy for a casual
observer to understand which part is intended for openoffice.org and which is not. No replies
yet. I don't understand why the board needs to be aware that we are working out these issues
as that is implicit in any podling. That is for the status page.

>> * Community development progress
>>
>> As of 2011-09-12 there are 72 committers, with 55 on the PPMC, up from 71 and 52
at last report.  Eleven initial committers have failed to submit iCLAs and are out of communication.

>> Discussion is underway with the operators of the existing OpenOffice.org forums for
migration of the forums into incubation, with  adjustment of governance to provide appropriate
PPMC and Foundation oversight.

>> An ooo-user incubator mailing list has begun, and there are few user-oriented posts
and requests so far; any preservation, migration, or replacement of other lists remains to
be resolved.  A Japanese-language ooo- incubator list is starting.

>> A "Building OpenOffice.org for Linux" hackfest was announced on the project blog
and carried out over the Internet in the first full week of September.

>> * Project development progress
>>
>> The OpenOffice.org trademarks have been transferred to Apache.  The OpenOffice.org
domain-name registrations are being transferred to Apache.

>> The OpenOffice.org Issue Tracking Bugzilla has been moth-balled as read-only and
an Apache Bugzilla established for continuation of Issue Tracking under the podling.

>> The main code base has been transferred to Apache SVN and is being actively tested
and modified.  Merging of additional work spaces from OpenOffice.org, and preservation of
versioning history is being pursued.  The current effort is focused on successful build of
a counterpart of the last complete build at OpenOffice.org.

>> Test configurations of the OpenOffice.org forum system and the OpenOffice.org Wiki
have been brought up on Apache infrastructure fixtures.   Cutover of the forum system is anticipated
as part of the OpenOffice.org migration.   Other services may languish for lack of podling
resources.

>> Detailed planning continues on public wiki:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/

I will put an update on the list and request review.