incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christophe Strobbe <christophe.stro...@esat.kuleuven.be>
Subject Re: Iaccessible2 in OOo
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:52:32 GMT
Hi,

I would like to add something to what Jean-Philippe Mengual already wrote.
I am involved in the development of a few
OpenOffice.org extensions that are related to
accessibility: an extension that exports ODT to
digital talking books in the DAISY format
(odt2daisy on SourceForge), an extension that
exports ODT to Braille (odt2braille, also on
SourceForge) and a soon-to-be-released
accessibility checker for ODT files. I have
presented these extensions at various
conferences, and the question I invariably get
when there are people with disabilities in the
audience (especially blind users) is: "When will
OpenOffice.org become accessible on Windows?" I
then explain that OpenOffice.org uses the Java
Accessibility API on Windows and that this needs
to be replaced with IAccessible2 code. Until then
the extensions are not (or very poorly)
accessible on Windows, the OS used by most people with disabilities.
At the next conference I will be able to say that
we can expect this to happen after the release of
A00o 3.4. (After the integration of IAccessible2,
I will need to check how this impacts UI created
by the extensions, but that is for later.)

Best regards,

Christophe

(...)

--