incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:44:56 GMT

On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- On Fri, 9/30/11, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> At the risk of starting a flame-war I
>> am going to state that
>> top-posting is bad on publicly archived mailing lists. Can
>> we please
>> stop doing it?
>>

> This was discussed on the early postings in this list
> and a mentor said it was OK to top-post.
>
> I don't like to top post but some mailers don't leave
> other options :(.

I actually prefer to top post. I've got everything organized by threads and I read them. I
can generally sort it out. When the questions and answers are deep in the bottom and get deeper
and deeper then I tend to tune out and move on. This tends to happen when some individuals
feel that they need to answer questions from 5 places in the thread in 5 separate emails.
This makes for a dense forest of email threads that only a lawyer or scholastic appreciates.

Also, consider that many are not native English language writers and lots of words may be
discouraging.

I do appreciate the comparison of top posting answers before questions from Norbert.

A counter example -

A = B + C

The answer is first or on top. :-)

Regards,