incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:23:51 GMT
On 29.09.2011 09:56, Ian Lynch wrote:

> On 28 September 2011 16:51, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> If everyone agreed that having a single project was best today, then
>> we would have a single project tomorrow.
>
> Point is we have made little real effort to achieve any consensus on this.
> We have done a lot of bitching on both sides and posted stuff like this that
> almost guarantees it will never happen. >
>>   The question should be what
>> can you, or I, or anyone else who wants that outcome, do today, to
>> make it more likely to move closer to that outcome.
>>

> I'd say stop posting reactionary and emotive stuff when someone makes a
> positive suggestion to get people working together.

You've hit the nail on the head!

Since the split of the OOo community we had the strange situation that
many people on both sides declared an interest to get together (even if
it is unclear today how that will look like), but when we had
discussions about that matter, most participants acted like they wanted
the opposite.

Looking for parts in each others posts that could be *interpreted*
negatively got more interest than praising the positive statements in
them. I have a very philantropic attitude, so I still believe that this
was caused by negative emotions of the past, not by malevolence. But
IMHO it's time to stop that and look forward, not backwards.

Nobody is perfect - so people make mistakes. Sometimes also people have
to do things for reasons that are not their own (I know this well
enough!). If you want cooperation, you have to remember this and focus
on the positive sides that can help to establish or foster cooperation,
but not enhance the negative sides and blame people for them.

And nobody should expect that anybody will come up with a plan and -
whoosh! - both projects will work together. That won't happen. Future
cooperation will require small steps and the admittance to overcome the
mostly psychological barriers.

Regards,
Mathias