incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: hwpfilter/source/ksc5601.h - header from GNU c library
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:36:06 GMT

On 29.09.2011 15:15, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the low-hanging fruits are hanging quite high ;-)
>>
>> Thus, as given at [1], we can get file ksc5601.h from [2] under a Apache
>> permissive license.
>> Unfortunately, the provided file [3] does not contain a license or copyright
>> header. But a copyright file [4] exists at the same location as ksc5601.h
>> which contains the copyright and license not only for ksc5601.h, but for all
>> files at [2]
>>

> OK.  So [4] is a permissive license for all files in the directory.
> This may seen odd, coming from the FSF, but they encourage this is
> some cases, such as when the code is very small, or where the code
> promotes the use of an open standard that competes against a
> proprietary standard.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html
>

>> My proposal to go ahead is:
>> - copy the following contents of the copyright file [4] into the downloaded
>> ksc5601.h file
>> <contents from copyright file [4] to be copied into new ksc5601.h file>
>
> The Apache practice is documented here.  Look under "Treatment of
> Third-Party Works".
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>
> One of the steps says, "Do ensure that every third-party work includes
> its associated license, even if that requires adding a copy of the
> license from the third-party download site into the distribution."
>
> It is not clear to me how we apply that step in this case:
>
> 1) Do we copy that license file into the same directory as ksc5601.h?
> But the license is written very poorly, "This notice applies to the
> files in this directory".   We might have it in a directory that has
> other files that were not originally in the same directory.  This
> seems like a bad idea.
>
> 2) Do we add the license to the specific files that we've copied?
> That is your proposal.
>
> 3) Or do we not touch the original file, but simple put the license
> text in our NOTICE.txt
>
> Maybe best is #2, but also put a comment in the source code where you
> document the provenance of the file,  giving the facts you gave above:
> that the file is from this URL, that the license is in this other
> file, and the text of the license is as follows, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Adding the URL for the origin of the copyright and license text is a
good idea. I will add it and use it also to point to the origin of
ksc5601.h.
As Pedro researched the files are also found at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/tree/src/xlibi18n/lcUniConv
I will use this URL as the origin.

Best regards, Oliver.