incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Iaccessible2 in OOo
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:05:36 GMT
Am 09/27/2011 08:58 PM, schrieb Jean-Philippe MENGUAL:

Hi Jean-Philippe,

> As ordinary blind user, I work very much to promote OOo and
> accessibility free software for blind people. The current problem is
> that public administrations, in France, choose OOo, but blind people are

thanks a lot for your effort to promote OOo. :-)

> complaining, as they consider it's not perfectly accessible with NVDA
> (Free screen reader for Windows). And migrating to Linux isn't always
> easy in a network (active directory features, ...).
>
> However, IBM Symphony works fine. My problem is that's not a really free
> software. Nethertheless, IBM, according I was told, gave to the Apache
> Foundation Iaccessible2, which is the code which enables Symphony to be
> perfectly accessible with NVDA.

That's correct.

> Could someone study Iaccessible2 and integrate it in OOo? It'd be great
> if OOo could be accessible with NVDA in the next stable releases. As no
> developper, I'd appreciate if you could tell me when it's integrated, if
> someone accepts to do it.

I don't know if it's already completely arrived or if there are still
some things to fix before it can be integrated into the code. However,
we are really working on taking advantage of the IA2 technology. Maybe
Rob can say more about the current status.

It's very unlikely that it will be part of the first AOO release because
of this and nobody knows the side effects that could occur. So, IMHO
expect it not for the coming release but for the following one.

HTH

Marcus