incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Reintroducing myself to the OOo community
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:02:58 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to reintroduce myself as participant in the OpenOffice
community in my new role as an IBM employee. Even before that change I
worked on OOo for over ten years. You can find out more details about me
at http://de.linkedin.com/pub/herbert-duerr/32/794/a05 where my
professional profile is hosted.

My specialities are i18n, text, graphics, platform integration,
algorithms, performance, debugging, keeping backward compatibility and
careful refactoring. These are incredibly huge topics by themselves, but
I'm not afraid to delve into other areas when I see the need.

Most of the key players in the OOo/LO world know and respect me. I am
happy that I can continue to work fulltime on our favourite project and
I like it even more that this open source work happens under the
well-run framework of the renowned Apache foundation as I appreciate its
proven and meritocratic structure. I especially understand the
foundations point of view on licensing which allows companies to
contribute for the common good who otherwise couldn't dare to touch such
a project if it had a more restrictive license.

I have many ideas on how to improve our productivity suite and am ready
to do what needs to be done. Here are some of the topics in their most
terse form: regexp remediation, assisting symphony integration,
interoperability, layout stability, portion to lower layers, text
justification, performance/scalability, better system integration esp.
for graphics, optional OpenType features, unicode variation selectors,
coretext, harfbuzz, 64bit win and mac, better filters and many more. I
invite you to cooperate at least in these areas as they will benefit all
related projects.

Best regards,
Herbert Duerr