incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXT][DISCUSS] Including Groovy as a scripting language
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 03:02:27 GMT

On 09/26/2011 10:31 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Carl Marcum<cmarcum@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wanted to gauge the interest in including Groovy [1] as a scripting
>> language.
>>
>> For those not familiar, Groovy is a dynamic language for the JVM that
>> includes features like closures, builders, and dynamic typing.
>>
>> There is currently a Groovy For OpenOffice extension [2] for this available
>> under LGPL. I have contacted the author regarding additionally licensing the
>> extension as Apache and he would be willing to do that to include it.
>>

> Are you thinking of this as being integrated into the install the
> released AOOo?  Or as an extension that we maintain in the Apache
> project and allow users to download post-install?

I was thinking of it being included in the install via included
extension. I'm not sure if that means we have to maintain it, but be
willing to as to keep it current.

> Is the author thinking of joining the project as well?

I didn't ask, only about licensing.

> Does it have any 3rd party dependencies that are not ALv2 (or compatible)?

Unknown at this time. I'll look into it.

>> Groovy itself is under the Apache 2.0 so I thought it may be a good fit.
>>

> As far as I can tell (and I may be wrong) the way to think of it is like this:
>
> 1) When we use a binary in the project (a 3rd party library) then
> having it be ALv2 or compatible is what we want.
>
> 2) When we include 3rd party source in the project, then ALv2 is also
> required, but we might have additional requirements, e.g.
>
> -- small contributions, in the nature of bug fixes and similar
> patches, nothing more required
>
> -- non-trivial code contributions made to the project -- a signed iCLA
>
> -- contribution of existing OSS projects -- signed SGA

If something like and extension is made available under ALv2 can it be
included it without a SGA?

>> I am willing to work on this if there is interest.
>>

> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> -Rob
>
>> Best regards,
>> Carl