incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: ooo-myspell at apache-extras.org
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:05:06 GMT
On 22/09/2011 Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Gianluca;
> Is your work related to this version?
> http://members.xoom.it/trasforma/ispell/
> Just wondering if we have to contact them too.

Whatever this is, it is widely unrelated to the dictionary currently
included in OpenOffice.org 3.3. The best starting point for it is
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-it (note that
the latest release is more recent than OOo 3.3 and was supposed to be
included in OOo 3.4 as expected to be released by Oracle).

The current version is GPL3 and it has a few copyright holders
(including Gianluca and myself), but we are sure that some of the
copyright holders will never give permission to relicense their work.

But we need to open, at due time, a dedicated discussion on writing aids
before saying that GPL dictionaries cannot be used. Shipping an older
Italian dictionary (or no Italian dictionary at all) would be a huge
regression and it would definitely lead to users abandoning
OpenOffice.org in scores, and to community members feeling frustrated
because their work of years is removed from OpenOffice.org just for the
stubbornness of one copyright holder opposing the license change.

Workarounds can surely be found (like OOo offering to download GPL
dictionaries upon installation or first run) and I'd urge to consider
them before risking to alienate entire native-lang communities.

Regards,
   Andrea.