incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Hollmichel <martin.hollmic...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction and start working
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:56:10 GMT
Hi,
>>> - get rid of dependence on instmsiw.exe and instmsia.exe
>> also this will iirc have some dependencies wrt system requirements, what
>> do you consider as minimum Windows baseline ? I would be fine with a XP
>> System SP2,
>
> I would alse be fine with Windows XP SP2 as the minimum Windows
> operating system as it is already stated in the building guide for
> Windows -
> http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
>
>>> -- I did not find any reference to these files in the sources.
>> They come from the installer SDK,
>
> As I can see on my system (Windows 7) the files instmsiw.exe and
> instmsia.exe are no longer included in "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
> Express" or "Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008"
>
> I also did not see that these files are included in an OOo
> installation set, if they are copied into ../external/msi/.
>
> Searching for information about the Microsoft Windows Installer -
> namely these executables - results that
> - the Microsoft Windows Installer is part of the Windows operating
> system since versions Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
> - for previous Windows versions (95, 98, 98 2nd Edition) the Microsoft
> Windows Installer has be manually installed. As far as I know these
> Windows version are no longer supported by OOo. Is this correct?
>
> Thus, I concluded that these files are no longer needed.
> Does anyone has further information?
I would think this depends on what version of the installer we depend,
on my windows xp system I have Windows Installer 3.01 available, on my
Windows 7 there is version 5 available. As always, some testing on the
baselines is required.
To my knowledge, just the creation of .msp (patches and service packs)
requires a recent version of the installer, so if avoiding this the
removal of the instmsi?.exe may be ok,

> Thanks and best regards,
> Oliver
Martin