incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: A systematic approach to IP review?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:13:24 GMT
Am 09/19/2011 01:59 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> [...]
>>> NOTICE file.  Apache RAT (Release Audit Tool) [2] can be used to
>>> automate parts of this.
>>>
>>> 4) Once the SGA files have the Apache headers, then we can make
>>> regular use of RAT to report on files that are lacking an Apache
>>> header.  Such files might be in one of the following categories:
>>>
>>> a) Files that Oracle owns the copyright on and which should be
>>> included in an amended SGA
>>>
>>> b) Files that have a compatible OSS license which we are permitted to
>>> use.  This might require that we add a mention of it to the NOTICE
>>> file.
>>>
>>> c) Files that have an incompatible OSS license.  These need to be
>>> removed/replaced.
>>>
>>> d) Files that have an OSS license that has not yet been
>>> reviewed/categorized by Apache legal affairs.  In that case we need to
>>> bring it to their attention.
>>>
>>> e) (Hypothetically) files that are not under an OSS license at all.
>>> E.g., a Microsoft header file.  These must be removed.
>>>
>>> 5) We should to track the resolution of each file, and do this
>>> publicly.  The audit trail is important.  Some ways we could do this
>>> might be:
>>>
>>> a) Track this in SVN properties.  So set ip:sga for the SGA files,
>>> ip:mit for files that are MIT licensed, etc.  This should be reflected
>>> in headers as well, but this is not always possible.  For example, we
>>> might have binary files where we cannot add headers, or cases where
>>> the OSS files do not have headers, but where we can prove their
>>> provenance via other means.
>>>
>>> b) Track this is a spreadsheet, one row per file.
>>>
>>> c) Track this is an text log file checked in SVN
>>>
>>> d) Track this in an annotated script that runs RAT, where the
>>> annotations document the reason for cases where we tell it to ignore a
>>> file or directory.
>>>
>>> 6) Iterate until we have a clean RAT report.
>>>
>>> 7) Goal should be for anyone today to be able to see what work remains
>>> for IP clearance, as well as for someone 5 years from now to be able
>>> to tell what we did.  Tracking this on the community wiki is probably
>>> not good enough, since we've previously talked about dropping that
>>> wiki and going to MWiki.
>>>

>> talked about it yes but did we reached a final decision?
>>
>> The migrated wiki is available under http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki and can
>> be used. Do we want to continue with this wiki now? It's still not clear for
>> me at the moment.
>>
>> But we need a place to document the IP clearance and under
>> http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/ApacheMigration we have already some
>> information.
>>

> This is not really sufficient. The wiki is talking about module-level
> dependencies.   This is a good star and useful for the high level
> discussion. But we need to look file-by-file.  We need to catch the
> case where (hypothetically) there is a single GPL header file sitting
> in a core OOo source directory.  So we need to review 100,000's of
> files.  Too big for a table on the wiki.

If you think in files than yes, it's too big.

But when you split this up into the application modules and submodules
and sub-sub-modules, then different people can work in parallel when
it's known who is working in what module.

IMHO this should work and there is always an actual and current overview.

Marcus