incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: VCL TestTool
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:07:19 GMT
Am 18.09.2011 17:34, schrieb Raphael Bircher:

> Hi at all
>
> The VCL TestTool is a GUI Testtool for OpenOffice.org who was writen by
> SUN and wildly used in by the Hamburg people. The VCL TestTool (short
> TT) is designed to avoid regressions. I the past, the test was not a
> load used by the community, and same people say, TT is only wasting time
> that can be better used by manual testing. There are two disavantage
> with the TT.

The testtool has some value if it is used with careful consideration and
not as a blind adherence to some stupid rules ("Thou shalt not integrate
code without running the testtool on it").

> So I will give the TT a chance, and started to testing with it, and I
> was surprised. The first Test brings a error. Within five minutes I can
> confirm it manualy. It was the "save with password error". Well, maybe
> this was also a bit luck, but even it takes 20 Minutes to analyse the
> error, it's the time wrote.

This backs up my experience with the test tool: it is best used when
larger parts of the code have been replaced, rewritten or removed. Like
now. Though you should be prepared for a lot of red herrings, especially
on Linux (the Windows runs take longer but from my own experience are
much more reliable).

Using the testtool in the long run is problematic: the developers of
that tool didn't maintain its source code for years, so nowadays it's
impossible to create a running testtool from the current sources. OTOH
the sources of the currently available binary instance of the testtool
are several years old an sooner or later won't run anymore. The Linux
version already does not run at least on 64Bit Ubuntu.

The quality of the test scripts also is average at best. And many tests
are superfluous, some of them are carried out up to 9 times, just
wasting time.

Regards,
Mathias