incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 13:22:53 GMT

On 09/06/2011 10:04 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> It couldn't have been all that bad if you spent so much time
> volunteering on those boards. -Rob

The problem is that the forum was setup years ago by a single individual
who is too busy to maintain it. The forum software is very old and the
spammers trivially create accounts and post spam. I am tired of deleting
multiple spammer accounts every day knowing that I cannot do a thing to
stop it.... and the one person that can make a change to stop it does
not have the time and will not hand over control so that someone else
can. Well, that is not entirely accurate. I believe that the forum is
hosted in a location that others CANNOT have access because this would
then allow access to other things (if that makes sense). Regardless, the
result to the forum is the same. Sure, people go there and post. I
found, however, that if I do admin work there, then I take so much time
doing admin work, that I have no time to answer questions, work on my
books, etc.

Some moderators were burned out and asked to be removed. At that point,
I researched how to control the spammers and the owner said that he
would upgrade to the latest forum software. That was months ago.

Did you know that every couple of years the forum disappears because the
domain name is not renewed?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php