incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [OT] What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:20:49 GMT
On 9/7/2011 5:39 PM, eric b wrote:
> Hi ****** ,
> Le 7 sept. 11 à 22:03, Hagar Delest a écrit :

...snip a bunch of snippy comments...

> The question is imho very important : is it allowed to cheat with the
> identity, inside the Apache Foundation ? I sincerily expect the answer
> is no.

Is it allowed to cheat with one's identity at the ASF?  No, if by
cheating you mean purposefully doing something fraudulent.

What is allowed is using a consistent alias on mailing lists,
bugtrackers, and wikis, unless specific projects somehow have a policy
on real names.

That said, we've found it's certainly a best practice to use real names
(or consistent aliases that can be tied to real names) to ensure healthy
communities.  When a whole healthy community agrees to work together,
having real names helps ensure politeness.  And when I say healthy
community, part of what that means is that the whole community actively
polices their mailing lists, and deals directly with troublesome posters.

To become a committer, the ASF requires that people sign an iCLA [1],
which grants the ASF license to their contributions to our projects -
this ensures that we can then ship our projects to end users under our
Apache License.  Note that no copyright assignment is required or even
asked for.

Part of the iCLA process requires your real name and a legal signature,
which the ASF needs to ensure we can validate it.  The iCLA also has a
space for a public name which you may choose to supply; thus you can
provide a pseudonym by which you're known publicly at Apache.

We publish lists of public names and Apache account IDs [2].  We do not
publish real names of iCLA signers.

Note that very very few people use a pseudonym when signing the iCLA;
well under 1%.

Any other specific questions about policy? 8-)

- Shane

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
[2] http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html