incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:35:47 GMT
On 9/6/2011 5:34 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 1:54 PM, drew wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 15:25 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
...snip...
>>> 2) Rules shall allow any PPMC member or Mentor to become a
>>> moderator or admin on request
>>
>> I would not agree to that - any PPMC member wanting to come do the
>> work of answering questions, over a period of time, is free to do
>> so just as anyone else is free to do.
>
> I think a rule of the Foundation is that all Members can have access
> to whatever Apache resource they desire.
>
> You'll have to accept Apache Members.
>
> Consider the slight possibility that a PPMC member who gets involved
> behaves badly and disrespectfully in the forum management. There is
> recourse - ooo-private. Any PPMC member has responsibility to the
> project and the ASF. Assuming that this proposal passes the Site and
> Forum Admins will be PPMC members and have such recourse available.
>
> You ought to allow any PPMC member to perform any oversight they deem
> necessary within the rules and culture of the admins. It is a
> responsibility of a (P)PMC to perform oversight. Any of us should be
> able to check on others.

Yes, and here is where it's important to be very clear what the intent
of Apache rules are, and how they'd be applied in the case of exactly
how forums work.

- As a membership-based organization (i.e. the ASF Members are
shareholders in the legal corporation), ASF policy is to allow Members
the right to inspect virtually all acts of our projects.  This means
that any Member could request read-only access to everything in the
Apache OOo forums, including logs, etc.

- As a non-profit, Apache requires that it's (P)PMCs have oversight over
the actions of their projects.  Part of this is the same as the above:
PMC members presumably could request read-only access to any services
associated with their project: thus Apache OOo PPMC members could get
read-only access to all forums, but other PMC's members would not
necessarily get access.

The rest of oversight is ensuring the (P)PMC has the ability to correct
problems that occur within the project.  Most often, this will be either
some problematic code in a product, content on a website, or a seriously
disruptive member of the community.  In those cases, the (P)PMC could
insist on a change or deletion of content in the forum, or a banning or
expulsion of a forum member (including, potentially, a moderator).

Note that all of the above are either read-only abilities, or the (P)PMC
taking an official action to correct a specific problem.

- Merit is *not* necessarily transferable between projects.  Just
because Jane Doe, super coder from the Apache Tomcat project, wants to
commit code to Apache OOo, there's no expectation that she will get
commit rights here.  Likewise, within some projects, people are only
granted write access to specific parts of a SVN tree or only to the
documentation, not the code.

Thus while (P)PMC members could request admin-(or whatever) level access
to the forums, I would expect this to be very rare, and it would be
appropriate to remind those individuals to respect how the forums work,
and ask them what their plans are.  Likewise, ASF Members or other
committers would need to show merit within the forums to gain moderator
or admin status; they would *not* be able to just request it.

Merit is not transferable partly because part of someone's merit is
their ability to work productively within a specific community.  Just
because someone's a wizard Subversion committer [1] does not mean
they'll fit in well here, or on Tomcat or Hadoop.

As a side note, while merit is not normally transferable, it normally
doesn't expire.  Just because someone goes away for a long while does
not automatically mean they lose their committer bit.  They might have
just been spending an extended vacation on a Greek island...  8-)

- Shane

[1] Although I have to say the Subversion project has one of the much
more advanced and well-oiled project governance schemes around!