incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From David McKay <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:41:31 GMT

On 06/09/2011 22:34, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 1:54 PM, drew wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 15:25 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> So would something like this work:
>>>
>>> Site admins must be PPMC members,  appointed by PPMC, with actual site
>>> admin assignment made by Infra.  In other words, only Infra has the
>>> skeleton key.
>> Yes I think everyone saw that as a given.
>>
>>> Forum admins must be also be PPMC members, appointed  by PPMC.
>> Would change to:
>>
>> Forum admins must be PPMC members and approved by the PPMC.
>>

>>> The
>>> actual rights assignment could be done by a site admin, not involving
>>> Infra?
>> I think you mean the assignment is done by an existing forum admin,
>> therefore not requiring Inra intervention - yes? and yes. :)
>>
>>> Moderators/Volunteers selected by the forum participants:
>>>
>>> 1) According to written rules which are publicly posted and approved by the PPMC
>> No problem with that.
>>
>>> 2) Rules shall allow any PPMC member or Mentor to become a moderator
>>> or admin on request
>> I would not agree to that - any PPMC member wanting to come do the work
>> of answering questions, over a period of time, is free to do so just as
>> anyone else is free to do.
> I think a rule of the Foundation is that all Members can have access to whatever Apache
resource they desire.

> You'll have to accept Apache Members.
>
> Consider the slight possibility that a PPMC member who gets involved behaves badly and
disrespectfully in the forum management. There is recourse - ooo-private. Any PPMC member
has responsibility to the project and the ASF. Assuming that this proposal passes the Site
and Forum Admins will be PPMC members and have such recourse available.

> You ought to allow any PPMC member to perform any oversight they deem necessary within
the rules and culture of the admins. It is a responsibility of a (P)PMC to perform oversight.
Any of us should be able to check on others.

> Regards,
> Dave
That sounds more or less fine to me. I'd just add that you can't just
turn up and become a Committer. Same sort of thing in my mind should
apply with the Forum and moderation. you can't just turn up. you have to
enrol and then participate for a while, and then be voted on. Same sort
of principle. That doesn't preclude anyone from having visibility to
anything meanwhile, which is the 'resource' we're talking about here.