incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From David McKay <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 15:41:53 GMT

On 06/09/2011 15:56, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Christian,
>
> What I find awkward around all of these discussions is that there are already several
Apache OOo PPMC members who were and are already administrators and moderators on the OpenOffice.org
forums, and not one of them stood up here, on ooo-dev, and said so.

> It boggles my mind how much withholding is going on.
>
>   - Dennis
Not strictly true. I've said several times that I was a moderator on the
forums. This is getting to too much like the emperor's new clothes.

Does it have to be more complicated than this: agree the high-level
points and them work out the detail. As far as i can see the main points
are as follows.

1) The forums bring great value to the Ooo community and project alike.
The more help the end users get the better. The more bugs that are
brought to our attention and find their way into bugzilla the better. It
is already one well-founded and respected face of OOo to the outside world.

2) The forums need a new home.

3) For that home to be under the Apache umbrella, as a minimum, it
requires some tweaking of the forum management/administration, or at
least, a permanent visible record of the management/administration actions.

4) Collaboratively, we ought to be able to get this done.

Dave.

OpenOffice.org project