incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:12:34 GMT
On 9/6/2011 9:42 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Shane Curcuru wrote on Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:01:04 -0400:
>> The fundamental issues requiring some sort of agreement or change are:
>>
>> 1 - The Oracle servers the forums live on are going away (someday).
>> Hence, the existing technical and organizational leaders of the
>> forums *must* migrate the code and content somewhere else.
>>

> Here you say "somewhere else"...
>
>> This primarily needs folks like Terry and... who else? to start
>> driving the work, in conjunction with this PPMC and then Apache
>> infrastructure.
>
> ...but here you assume a very specific value for "somewhere else".

True, because personally I was hoping that we could figure out how to
get the forums integrated here within Apache OOo.  I'm trying to figure
out how to be positive and welcoming in my tone, but I fear I'm not
being too clear.

* The root issue for the community of people running the OOo forums is
that both their servers and their domain name are going away soon.  The
only question is when, which I think primarily depends on when Oracle
pulls the plug on the server.

I'm hoping Apache OOo has sufficient interested and committed people in
it who can and will work on helping part of the forum community find a
home here in the podling.  But we'll see how well Apache OOo committers
can do that, as well as seeing how much of the forum community is
willing to change governance to meet Apache requirements.

If this doesn't work, then I wish the forum community well finding a
home elsewhere, and they should let us know their URL once they're
running successfully somewhere else.

- Shane