incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:55:06 GMT

On 9/6/2011 9:39 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Joe Schaefer<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> It's called delegation Rob, and it's done all the
>> time within the ASF.  The PPMC can delegate ALL
>>
>> management/oversight aspects to whomever is on
>> the PPMC that is also involved with the forums.
>>
>> So long as 1 person on the PPMC is watching over
>> the activity, and anything noteworthy gets passed
>> along to the board via PPMC reports, it's a perfectly
>> humane way of conducting yourselves.
>>

> So we can delegate selection of approval of committers to a single
> PPMC member?  Really?

Er, no, and where did you come up with that idea?

There are way too many miscommunications happening here.  I don't see
how you get to voting in new committers from someone on the PPMC having
oversight of how the forums work.

The fundamental point is that the board, through it's PMCs (not PPMCs,
by the way), has oversight over the content that our projects produce
and present to the public.  This is important for a number of reasons,
including legal (ensuring we have the right to publish the content,
ensuring we or our users aren't exposed to excess legal risks in using
the content), brand (people have certain expectations of Apache
software), and community (ensuring that our communities know the base
rules for behavior).

This does not in any way mean that everyone needs to be a committer nor
on the (P)PMC!  Are the forums producing significant code or structured
documentation that we intend to put in releases directly?  If no, then
there's no real need to be a committer.

Yes, having a single community with a healthy and overall meritocracy is
a best practice.  But some level of work outside of this - especially in
the user support side - I could see working under the PMC, but not being
committers.  I could see Admins/Moderators hopefully signing iCLAs in
the future.

This is a different question than most Apache projects, both because the
level of work in non-technical end-user support for OOo that's not in
any other Apache project, but also because of the fundamental
differences in how much of the end-user support work vs. in terms of
traditional Apache user support.  It's not clear to me even now how much
specific work from the forums does (and, more importantly could!) come
back to the project itself.

But I certainly know it's getting hard to find a common ground without
being a little nicer to each other.

- Shane

> -Rob

a forum would fit into Apache; by your earlier post you do not think there is such a mechanism.
Might Apache be prepared to modify (by extension) their structures to accomodate these?  This
becomes a problem for the legal draughtsmen, of course.  The old rule of £minimal change"
ought apply.