incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Status of existing OOo user guides
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 03:28:46 GMT
On 9/5/2011 22:57, Jean Weber wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:53, Pedro F. Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Jean;
>>
>> Continuing on the topic of my general ignorance ...
>>
>> --- On Mon, 9/5/11, Jean Weber<jeanweber@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not clear to me that the user guides produced by
>>> ODFAuthors are in fact "official documentation" even
>>> though they are made available as ODT and PDF through
>>> the OOo wiki.
>>>

>> We are talking about the same documents here?
>>
>> http://documentation.openoffice.org/
>
> That page is just a portal; most of its links point to the wiki. The
> user guides I am talking about are on the wiki, linked from this page
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
>
> Here is an example of the user guides download pages
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters
>
> You will notice at the bottom "Content on this page is licensed under
> the Creative Common Attribution 3.0 license (CC-BY)" as on each of the
> pages of the wikified content.
>
> Although the wiki pages carry the Oracle logo, the user guides
> themselves do not. Like many of the wiki pages, the docs have
> different licenses. Some docs (Admin Guide, for example) are Oracle
> docs and have a PDL license notice.
>
> --Jean

Just to clarify, we are talking about two different sets of docs. The
following have the wiki as their primary source:

Admin Guide
Basic Guide
Building Guide
Developers Guide

These presumably belong to Sun/Oracle/Apache. Where and in what form
they will eventually reside is still open, AFAIK.

All of the "module" users guides (Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Writer –
and Base, eventually) may reside on the wiki in various forms and
versions (or at least the files reside on the wiki server), but they
come from ODFA.
--
/tj/