incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From David McKay <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:28:40 GMT

On 05/09/2011 21:51, Rob Weir wrote:
> [...]
>>> On 5 Sep 2011, at 19:00, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> My experience elsewhere at Apache is that PMCs are pretty open and
>>> trusting. If there's a recommendation for further involve a valued
>>> contributor requiring lazy concensus, I'd expect them to all go through,
>>> unless there's someone proposed who's known to be problematic. The important
>>> thing is really procedural... the fact that the PMC approves someone makes
>>> it clear that the PMC has responsibility for keeping the forums healthy.

>>> While that's certainly desirable, if PMC members need this kind of access
>>> to provide oversight, then they need to be able to get access regardless.
>>> This seems less likely to be required if there's separate archival as
>>> suggested below.

>>> Perhaps you could elaborate on this?
>> The  "exclusive zone of ownership" is too ambiguous to me in this case, may
>> be my English is not good enough to understand it.
> Let me explain.  In an Apache project we do not have separate
> functional groups that "own" or "control" that function.  There is no
> documentation team that has exclusive rights to change the
> documentation.  There is no web designer who has exclusive rights to
> change the website.  There is no Calc developer who has control over
> the Calc code.  All Committers are equal and have rights to contribute
> anywhere.  This would be true of the support forums as well.
>
>> The closed forums (not seen by ordinary users) used for discussing all
>> forums common things about of management, updates etc., other for storing
>> spam posts for limited time, but if committer has admin/moderator access
>> could see the content.
>>
> I am not sure we are saying the same thing.
>
> Let's back up and talk about the two meanings of "private".  It is
> important that we all mean the same thing when we use that word.
>
> Private could simply mean "limited access according to the access
> controls.  Not public".  A synonym would be "restricted access".
>
> Private could also mean "matters that should not be public (or ought
> not to be public)".  A synonym would be "confidential"
>
> Let's use the synonyms to avoid confusion with these two meanings of "private".
>
> In an Apache project, restricted-access lists are used only for
> dealing with confidential or sensitive matters.  They are not used for
> "discussing common things about of management, updates etc.".  These
> matters are discussed on open, public lists, where the public (not
> just Apache people) can read and even respond to such discussions.
>
> So what I was proposing was this:
>
> 1) All non-confidential discussions occur in public.  This would be a
> mailing list or an open forum, whatever works best for you.
>
> 2) All confidential discussions occur in an access-restricted medium.
> This could be done on the ooo-private list.  But it could also be done
> on an access-restricted forum, provided you do the logging, etc., as
> has been discussed elsewhere on this list.

I'm a moderator on the community forums. As you can imagine there is a
great deal of discussion going on over there amongst the volunteers
moderators and admins about the best thing to do next, and the best way
to do it. We do know we have a very successful and popular (in terms of
visitors, users and answered questions) and that it would be a real
asset to the Apache OpenOffice project & community. Personally I don't
see an issue with points 1) and 2) as described by Rob. Pretty much it
is what happens now. Another thing to consider though is that we
currently run 10 forums. Running a few others wouldn't be too much of a
stretch. Are there any other projects or products within Apache that
might benefit from a forum structure? We have to walk before we run, but
long-term once we have an agreed working scheme for the Apache OO
forums, it shouldn't take too much to drop another project/product into
the same sort of framework.