incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:33:24 GMT
On 05/09/11 15:04, Rob Weir wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Look, I am not practising a Christian, but even I know Matthew 22:21:
>> "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s ... "   Here you are just
>> another PPMC member, and you have absolutely no track record on running
>> forums, as far as I know.   In my view, you should leave the running of user
>> community forums to people who know how to run these forums and have been
>> doing it for years.  Ditto, developers are the best people to work out how
>> to develop, etc., or are you going to start people how to debug code next?
>>
>> Surely we all stick to should our core competencies, and win the trust of
>> other groups before we stick our noses it their business.  I phrase it this
>> way because I know that the same criticism could also be applied to me.
>>
> Terry, your penchant for whipping out your resume at the slightest
> provocation as been noted, and dismissed, elsewhere on the list.  It
> is an approach that lacks substance .  It reminds me those small
> aquatic creatures (does anyone know the name?), who lacking any other
> defense mechanisms puff themselves up to look much larger that they
> are, in hopes of intimidating potential foes.  I suppose it works for
> fish.  It does not work for me.  I'm not impressed.  But luckily I'm
> not a foe either.  I'm here to help.
>
> I've listed some important, substantive concerns with the integration
> of the forums to Apache.  My support is contingent on a reasonable
> plan for addressing these issues.
>
> These concerns rest on their own logic and should be self evident to
> anyone who reads them and has even passing familiarity with how Apache
> works.  These points do not rely on my CV.  But since you raise the
> issue, you might be interested to know that yes, I have setup and
> admin'ed a community forum,  based on phpBB.  I later migrated it to
> vBulletin because I wanted some of the social features on that
> platform, including Facebook integration.  I've also, in my career,
> been in a support role, delivering commercial support, both for end
> user applications as well as developers tools.  I've worked also in a
> support technology team, collaborating with a local university's
> information retrieval lab to integrate their cutting edge technology
> into our support tools.  In that role I also worked closely with
> technical editors to tighten the feedback cycle between customers,
> support engineers and technical writers.  And I've also worked as a
> programmer on an office suite,  C/C++, as well as related components
> in Java and ActiveX, moving on to become a software architect, etc.,
> as well as working on related standards and strategic topics.  So I've
> had a nice career working general in this area.  I've seen this from
> end-to-end.  I may not have worked in your small corner of the world,
> but I do have perspective on what is necessary to bring this effort to
> scale.  I get the "big picture", although I acknowledge that my vision
> is by no means the only vision possible.
You present yourself as the "leader" here so newbies make the mistake of
thinking of you as one.

You criticise me for whipping out a résumé then list off a far longer
one of your own accomplishments.  The main point that I draw from this
rather comprehensive list is that few if any are relevant to the running
of an end-user support organisation in 10 languages which is the scope
of this discussion.  You might have run a forum. Big deal.  You know
very little about what goes on within these forums in terms of their
governance, and this is an entirely personal decision on your part.  The
Apache rules say that decisions should be made on this DL, but AFAIK
there is nothing to say that you can't engage with the forum teams or
accept their offer, as some of the mentors have done, to look at their
work and to engage with them.

Does the fact you are paid to your job on this project by IBM make your
input here more relevant (despite your ignorance of this domain) than
that of the people doing this work for nothing?    Rob, yes to might be
here to help,  but your "help" so far nearly caused the bulk of our
moderator to decide to walk and unravel a a group that 6 other PPMC
members have spent a large part of the last 4-5 years building.

Your main reaction was to suggest:  "we'll need to explore alternative
approaches, such as point users to http://www.oooforum.org/".  With help
like that, I am sure that the project is going to "succeed".  What will
be your comment if it does fail:  Oh dear, never mind.   IBM, what's my
next job?   Oh, by the way, we'll need to explore alternative
approaches, such as point users to http://http://symphony.lotus.com/ ?

Some of what you say makes sense and merits consideration, but it
deliberately and blatantly ignores some of the other constructive
discussions and points that have been made on these threads.   It that
how Apache lazy consensus works?  I am busy working at the moment.  I
will try to look at it the next few days.