incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Role of ASF board (was Re: [Discuss] Lost in translation)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:22:32 GMT
Ha!  Ross beat me to it!

Indeed, the role of the board at the ASF is strictly organizational.
Technical decisions on any project (or podling) at the ASF are up to the
(P)PMC running that project.  PMCs are made up of individuals -
corporations are never invited to be on a PMC or other Apache body.

The board does not get into technical decisions; nor do the Members of
the ASF, unless - as Ross says - they're acting as individuals on a
project.  Even there, Members need to earn commit rights on each project
separately, just like everyone else.

For a little bit of perspective on what the ASF is, see my post:

   http://communityovercode.com/2011/09/apache-by-the-numbers/

The only part of that Apache by the Numbers post that the board directly
works with is the Corporate section.  As for the rest, it's the People
who make up the Communities that write some Code (using Websites and
Mailing Lists) to serve Users.  The only reason for the Corporate
section there is to provide a legal place to stick all of this stuff
that's secure and independent from outside commercial influence.  Oh,
and to ensure our servers keep running!

Although it's rather dry and boring, the official description of the
role of the Board at the ASF is quite accurate:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/

- Shane