incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:02:19 GMT
On 04/09/11 18:36, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Being a member-based organization the ASF requires
> that all foundation activities be subject to member
> scrutiny (with only a handful of operational exceptions).
>
> I would be perfectly satisfied if the private forums
> are fully archived and made available to any ASF member on
> request, without undue delay.
+1
I personally agree that we should have the absolute minimum as world-no
access, and clear and valid reasons to limit such access.  I think that
it's something that we could sell to the community.   The main hassle is
trolls and flamers posting into the moderation forums, so it would be
better to limit write access.

I don't think that granting any ASF member read or read/write access to
*all* forums would be an issue as long as they broadly respect the rules
of the forum.

Both of these options are reasonable and therefore could be quickly
"sold" to the community, IMHO.  However, this is a very different and
easier pitch than the hard line that Rob proposes.

It would also be possible for someone to develop (as Rob suggests) a
feed from such forums into a DL such as ooo-private.  However, this
would be a non-trivial bit of custom code development as this isn't
standard phpBB functionality and the Logical Data Model for a rich-text
Topic/Post paradigm would require a bit of massage to flatten into a
plain text email format.  We might have resourcing issues here.