incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: OpenOffice most annoying bugs
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:33:52 GMT
Am 09/04/2011 05:10 PM, schrieb Pedro F. Giffuni:
> --- On Sun, 9/4/11, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>>> Example 1:
>>> - A posting in LO mailinglist from Sept 2010 says:
>>> "Creating a 'bug' saw no action in 3 years....
>>> Here is hoping that posting the patch to this
>>> new project will :-)"
>>> (There goes one developer that will probably
>>> think it twice before submitting new patches here)
>>
>> Sorry, clearly not a stopper for me. It doesn't fix a bug
>> but introduce a new feature. This shouldn't be a stopper
>> candidate.
>>

> Nahh.. you haven't been doing your homework: that issue was
> indeed a bug and the issue has been fixed now. I was
> highlighting the effect of ignoring bugs for too long
> though: it has an influence on the community as such.

How should I do better research when you don't give me an issue ID? ;-)
So, of course I cannot know that it is a bug.

>>> Example 2:
>>> Bug 7065 (Which Marcus considers not to be a
>>> showstopper) says in 2003:
>>> "I think it is a mistake to future this bug. Page
>>> numbering is a very important function of all
>>> worprocessing software and its discoverability must
>>> at least be increased."
>>
>> When an issue is open und unsolved since 2003 then it is
>> sad. No doubt.
>> However, it's still not an issue that should suddenly stop
>> a release.
>>
>>> And after that there are 13 issues closed as
>>> duplicates to this same bug.
>>>
>>> Yes, someone has to review the patches, and the
>> applied
>>> fixes won't necessarily match the submitted diffs or
>> what
>>> LibreOffice committed but we do have a good starting
>>> point to fix these issues and the wider community has
>>> seen a value in fixing them so I do think they have a
>>> higher priority.
>>
>> Yes and no. It doesn't depend from where the issue or patch
>> comes or how
>> old it is. It's about the issue itself, what part of the
>> application it covers and its severity.
>>

> Which is all subjective and basically translates to "whatever
> a random developer feels he should be working on today".

Not if the most of us have the same opinion. Then it is no longer
subjective.

> Come on.. let's admit: bug fixing never follows a coordinated,
> well developed, plan to improve our product, at least not
> in a volunteer project.

Why not? Do you like to work in chaos where everybody is doing something
but not together? I hope not. ;-)

> What I am saying here is that setting goals is good and a new
> Apache release is not around the corner so tagging some bugs
> for now as release blocker (or some other less obliging tag
> for what I am concerned) doesn't really mean nothing.

Right, but not all of these 24 issues are blocker. Maybe the one and other.

Marcus