incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users] Re: Languages
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 14:39:35 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> 1) What constitutes a language is as much a political and cultural
> question as a linguistic one.  No sense debating it here.

Ultimately what matters to us is whether ISO assigned a code to the
language or not, so a technical issue; as I wrote earlier, it did in ISO
639-2 (Neapolitan = "nap"); and this is all that matters to us. I
definitely agree people should not debate non-technical issues on this list.

> 3) If a group of volunteers wants to enable OpenOffice.org for a new
> language, we should point them to information on how to do this.

Sure. I did this in my earlier message, but I've now found the exact
links and I'm posting them here so that Dale can generate the locale
data and take the first step:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_submit_new_Locale_Data
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Adding_a_new_language_or_locale
(wiki is in the process of being migrated, but these pages are still
available).

I investigated the locale creation and apparently in the Locale
Generator Dale will have to choose "Napoletano-Calabrese" (it's their
hard-coded definition, again for technical reasons).

Then Dale will be stuck at the issue creation phase, since BugZilla is
being migrated too. This is why I wrote that it's probably best to
contact Eike Rathke directly, since these issues used to be assigned to
him. I've taken the liberty to CC him explicitly, sorry Eike if you
preferred otherwise.

And good luck with bringing a new language to OpenOffice.org!

Regards,
   Andrea.