incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 11:31:58 GMT
A few days ago, I made the statement below and received a generally
robust and unapologetic response.  I don't want to rehash this again,
but this tipped the balance for me and I decided to finish off my work
with Apache and hand over.  What has somewhat surprised me and this is
the issue that I want to flag up the the PPMC in this note, is the
volume and tone of the general responses that I received when I let the
forums know of my decision to hand over and stand down.

In essence my concerns and fears seem to be shared by most of the NL
admins, moderators and volunteers that staff the forums and do over 90%
of the work to respond to end users.  Until this last week my views were
probably at the more positive end of the spectrum.  If this happens then
we aren't going to be left with any functioning forums, so I am starting
to consider quite seriously why I am continuing to do this work at all.

Please consider taking active steps:

    * To realise that these people spend all of their pro-bono time
      working in the forum model and generally hate using email for
      anything other than 1-1 communication.  We need to have a mutually
      efficient way of working together.
    * To understand that the forums are a well oiled machine that are
      administered tightly and efficiently and have been for years.
      Please understand how the system works and what its strengths and
      weakness are, before demanding changes.
    * Please don't demand, but provide rational explanations for the
      need to change and use sensible change management to change
      working policies and practices.
    * Reach out and consider how to work with people for whom English is
      a second language, who find it hard work to read a simple and well
      formatted document or post and who just cannot follow complex
      email threads that are a dozen levels deep and get completely
      mangled by some respondents:
          o Keep thread simple and maintain thread discipline
          o Try to give direct answers to direct questions
          o All participants configure their email clients to use
            "text/plain; format=flowed" encoding, as "text/plain" only
            can completely mangle nesting of reply content.

Of course the PPMC doesn't have to do any of this, but also please
accept my parting advice that if you don't then you are effectively and
knowingly killing the forums off.  At some point these people will have
decide whether to stay and tough it out; to leave one-by-one; or to take
this service elsewhere.

Regards Terry Ellison