incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: OpenOffice most annoying bugs
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:44:42 GMT
Am 09/03/2011 04:59 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Pedro F. Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Marcus;
>>
>> The exact flag in bugzilla is 3.4_release_blocker.
>>
>> Not including *ALL* these 24 bugs for the next release
>> would be like saying to our contributors that we don't
>> care about them. We are talking about people that
>> spent *their* time coding and gave the preference
>> to contribute to OpenOffice that would now see that
>> their are efforts better appreciated elsewhere.
>>

> I think we should classify the bugs based on their impact on the
> product, not on the identity of the person who submitted the patch.
> It is possible for a long-time, important contributor to submit a
> patch for a minor issue, and it is possible for a new person to submit
> a last-minute fix for a very important issue.
>
> We value all patches and all contributions, but that does not mean
> that ever patch will necessarily make it into the very next release.
> They might.  But they might not.  Integrating patches, testing them,
> fixing them if necessary -- this all requires someone to do these
> tasks.

As addition:

It's also about code quality and stability.

Currently we have already a (relative) stable code with the released OOo
3.4 Beta. So, it would be IMHO not clever to through in all the new code
from the 24 issues, build again and get surprised what is now not working.

We have to select very carfully what to integrate.

Second we should not forget, removing all code because it is not
compatible with AL2 is already a big code change and nobody can predict
what will or can happen on our road to the final AOO 3.4 release.

So, I would say lets change as most as necessary and integrate new
things as less as possible. Please let us focus on what is really
important for 3.4.

With the new branch for the next release independent from 3.4 we can do
much more and integrate all the nice things from the remainign issues
and much more.

Marcus