incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Erwin <d...@casaerwin.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users] Re: Languages
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:02:45 GMT
On 9/2/2011 10:23 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Dale;
>
> With due respect to Italy's cultural richness (which I so
> much admire being italian myself but not only because of that),
> Neapolitan is classified as a dialect, not a language, for
> good reasons.
>
> Compared to standard italian you use the same character set
> and gramatical rules. Furthermore the computer related terms
> that OpenOffice uses are the same as in standard italian.
> My recomendation is just to add a dictionary with Naepolitan
> terms to the standard italian dictionary.
>
> best regards,
>
> Pedro,

Spoken like a true northern Italian bigot... with all due respect.

Please note I did not call you a northern Italian bigot... I said you
speak like one.  Maybe you are just misinformed.

I agree that Neapolitan is a dialect because by definition a dialect is
a LANGUAGE which is not the principal language of the country in which
it is spoken and it is relegated to a particular region of that country.
  But it IS a language and is recognized as such by Wikipedia and by the
Italian Province of Catania and has a rich literary presence spanning
several centuries.  For a brief time, from 1442 to 1458, Neapolitan was
the official language of the Kingdom of Naples.  It was supplanted by
the Tuscan of Dante and Boccaccio which by 1500 had become the accepted
literary language of Italy and generally referred to as Italian, but
there was no official language called Italian until the unification of
Italy.  Although the official date of the unification is 1849, the
Kingdom of Naples did not become part of the Kingdom of Italy until
1861.  At that time Naples was possibly the richest city in the world
and it was at this point that 80 million ducats were removed from the
Bank of Naples and moved to the Bank of Italy causing the collapse of
the entire southern Italian economy.  It also gave rise to a bigotry in
northern Italy which empowered them to deride the southern Italians
because of their poverty (which they, the northerners, had caused).  For
this reason, it became unfashionable to speak Neapolitan.  They call it
the unification of Italy.  I call it the rape of Naples.

As for having the same character set as Italian, so does French,
Spanish, Portughese, Rumanian and English.  Are they also dialects?  Of
course not.

And Neapolitan has its own grammar, too.  There may be some similarities
to Italian grammar, just as there are in French, Spanish, Portughese and
any other Romance language.  Here are but a few Neapolitan Grammar books:

GRAMMATICA DEL DIALETTO NAPOLETANO
   compilata dal Dottor Raffaele Capozzoli;
   Luigi Chiurazzi Editore, 1889

'A LENGUA 'E PULECENELLA - GRAMMATICA NAPOLETANA
   Carlo Iandolo;
   Franco di Mauro Editore, 1994

IL NAPOLETANO PARLATO E SCRITTO Con Note di grammatica storica
   Nicola De Blasi - Luigi Imperatore;
   Libreria Dante & Descartes, 2000

FACILE FACILE - Impariama la lingua napoletana - Grammatica
   Colomba Rosaria Andolfi;
   Kairos Edizioni - Napoli, 2008

MODERN NEAPOLITAN GRAMMAR - GRAMMATICA NAPOLETANA ODIERNA
   D. Erwin - M. T. Fedele
   Lulu Press, 2011

--
Dale Erwin