incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [users] Re: Languages
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:06:55 GMT
Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Neapolitan is classified as a dialect, not a language, for
> good reasons.

It's in ISO 639-2 so it's a language, and it's distinct from Italian.
Among the local languages spoken in Italy, we already fully support the
four variants of Sardinian according to ISO 639-3 (Campidanese,
Gallurese, Logudorese, Sassarese) and Friulian according to ISO 639-2.

The first step would be to add locale data to OpenOffice.org so that
OpenOffice.org knows that a Neapolitan language exists. Once that's in
place, you can translate the interface and even create dictionaries.

Eike Rathke is on this list and he's probably the most knowledgeable
person about this topic, so I'll stop here. I remember there were issues
with mapping 3-letter codes (like "nap", ISO 639-2 for Neapolitan) to
the conventions used by OpenOffice.org, but this could be a problem from
the past.

> My recomendation is just to add a dictionary with Naepolitan
> terms to the standard italian dictionary.

This won't work for regional variants of Italian: it will break spell
checking and/or interoperability. At least in this case, where we are
speaking of a separate language, the only viable solution is to make it
known to OpenOffice.org by creating locale data for it.

Regards,
   Andrea.