incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <>
Subject Re: Administrative controls / management of the mailing lists
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:02:11 GMT

The short answer is IMHO: that's correct -- No.  As to the long one: ...

Oracle stopped its major funding of OOo as a mainstream product for
sound commercial reasons -- though this has resulted in personal
consequences for a lot of people who worked on OOo and who no longer
have a job.  Now we've now got some services running unmanned, because
the people have gone.

We were lucky as far as the OOo wiki was concerned in that I was already
providing expert support to the Oracle guy who ran the system, and I was
able to step in with his active cooperation before he "left the building".

I believe that Oracle that wants to ensure a "bumpless" transfer to the
Apache project wherever possible, and it will find the necessary
mechanisms to grant project members who have the right technical skills
and track record to take over these systems.  Our main problem is that
this list currently seems to contains one name -- mine, though there are
others who could potentially step into this gap: for example Raphael,
Kay and Drew.  However we are all already working to our limits.  Maybe
we just need a cloning machine :(

Quite honestly -- and I can only speak personally -- at the moment I
feel that I am caught between a rock and a hard place.  My work is time
consuming and the skills are different to the mainstream C++ trained OOo
developer, but they are also different to a pure sysAdmin.  In some ways
you need to be an expert in *both* these worlds and to be able to
integrate this expertise.  I am not talking about enthusiastic newbie
volunteers; I am talking about hacks who have done this so many times
that it's routine.  Again this only my personal experience, but I feel
that Apache is unwelcoming to newcomers and this seems to be an endemic
culture, albeit strongly advocated by a few individuals.  It is
intolerant and often outrightly hostile to domains of expertise outside
its comfort area -- even though these may be more relevant to the work
and Apache's wider mission.  In short I am being asked to work long
hours on technically demanding tasks in a dysfunctional environment.  If
I was being paid to do what I am doing now, then I would be seriously
thinking about changing jobs -- and this is from a guy who spent 32
years working with the same company working to get to its top technical
tier -- and also one who is now doing this work pro-bono.

So we do have the means in terms of Oracle enabling, but we, the
project, don't have the resources / expertise to step up to this. If I
am still here in 3 months and this is still an outstanding issue, then
I'll try to sort it out.

Regards Terry

View raw message