incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [proposal][www][lazy] Apache CMS Site for the OpenOffice.org Website Migration
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:31:37 GMT
Hi,

Slight adjustments inline below.

Thanks Dennis and Rob for the comments. The "<link rel" is a great idea.

Regards,
Dave

On Sep 13, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I would like to propose the following change in approach for the migration of the
openoffice.org website to Apache. We should split the site svn tree into two separate trees.
This will allow us to quickly address the divergent license, copyright, and footer issues
with clarity and without working against the Apache CMS's framework.

>> Mixing the openoffice.org migration with the incubator site as subfolders is now
a plroblem. I realized I was about to bloody my forehead - bash my head against a wall.

>> Here are the details.
>>
>> (1) Split the current ooo/site/trunk/ and create ooo/ooosite/trunk/. Move all of
the openoffice.org migrated content to the ooo/ooosite/ site tree. Each site will now have
its own templates/skeleton.html with correct license headers, copyrights, and terms.

The new part of the svn tree will be ooo/ooo-site/trunk/.

>> (2) Request that infrastructure attach the new ooo/ooosite/ tree to the cms buildbot
and webgui. If Infrastructure is willing I propose -

>>  http://ooo-site.apache.org/.

It looks like it will be ooo-site.apache.org

>> If it must start as part of the incubator then
>>
>>  http://incubator.apache.org/ooo/
>>
>> (3) Every AOOo committer will be enabled to use the Apache CMS's webgui to make edits
in order to align the site's policies to the new project. It has been confirmed that it is
possible to edit the source html in the WebGUI / Bookmarklet. As Dennis has written these
should be minimal.

>> (4) No changeover of the current www.openoffice.org until the project agrees.
>>

> If you are going to maintain nearly identical content on two websites
> simultaneously for any length of time, you might try to inject a <link
> rel="canonical" href="http://www.openoffice.org/original-page"> into
> the pages served up by the Apache CMS.  That will help prevent any
> confusion to Google.  It essentially instructs Google to consider the
> openoffice.org version of the page to be the real one.   This is
> important for SEO.
>
> For details:
> http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html
>

>> I'll start the tree splitting process this Friday in 72 hours allowing plenty of
time for comments and consensus.