incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:05:53 GMT
MiguelAngel,

Welcome to the discussion.

On Sep 6, 2011, at 9:24 AM, MiguelAngel wrote:

> I agree with Ricardo,
>
> To me, don't seem very nice how some people have helped Terry to carry
> on his effort to do the transition, and keep the relation with the forum
> and their members. I would prefer to feel not like an unwelcome guest
> for them.

It is unfortunate that a few individuals can appear to speak for the community as a whole
in a detrimental manner even though they do mean well. As far as Apache is concerned we are
all individual volunteers here. We earn merit in the project and we have recognized merit
already earned in OOo outside of this podling.

> Some questions in the air:
> -Can have the forum a future in ASF, with their different languages in a
> reasonable terms?

We are trying, a requirement is enough people to natively moderate with oversight responsibility
provided by the PPMC

> -Why anyone must have any status in the forum, without do nothing?
> Not the same have supervision rights, like an auditor, than the status.
> The meritocracy is a law in ASF, right, then must be for all.

Mixed in with various suggestions was one to make willing admins into PPMC members. Now it
is clear that more than enough are already on the PPMC.

> -I don't see clear, why the ASF rules are applicable in those terms
> claimed?. Since the forum will not take any decision about nothing on
> the project. Or can be time in ASF to agree a rules about forums in the
> projects.

I agree that the policies can evolve in a minimal manner.

> I think it's time to apply the efforts in a more productive things for
> the project.

+1

> And I don't like how the efforts are spent in nothing.

+1

> The true differences, sure are a thin line. If both parts want, easy to
> cross.
>
> Miguel Ángel
> Volunteer on the spanish + english forum.
> User of OOo trying to help another users, by the pleasure to do it.
> Could be not an important labour from a technician point of view, but
> every person/labour is important, and from the end user side could be
> very important.
> I think all the software is developed for the end user, OOo, if I not
> mistake, more than hundred million at this time.

Regards,
Dave