incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:34:30 GMT

On Sep 6, 2011, at 1:54 PM, drew wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 15:25 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> So would something like this work:
>>
>> Site admins must be PPMC members,  appointed by PPMC, with actual site
>> admin assignment made by Infra.  In other words, only Infra has the
>> skeleton key.
>
> Yes I think everyone saw that as a given.
>

>> Forum admins must be also be PPMC members, appointed  by PPMC.
>
> Would change to:
>
> Forum admins must be PPMC members and approved by the PPMC.
>

>> The
>> actual rights assignment could be done by a site admin, not involving
>> Infra?
>
> I think you mean the assignment is done by an existing forum admin,
> therefore not requiring Inra intervention - yes? and yes. :)
>

>> Moderators/Volunteers selected by the forum participants:
>>
>> 1) According to written rules which are publicly posted and approved by the PPMC
>
> No problem with that.
>

>> 2) Rules shall allow any PPMC member or Mentor to become a moderator
>> or admin on request
>
> I would not agree to that - any PPMC member wanting to come do the work
> of answering questions, over a period of time, is free to do so just as
> anyone else is free to do.

I think a rule of the Foundation is that all Members can have access to whatever Apache resource
they desire.

You'll have to accept Apache Members.

Consider the slight possibility that a PPMC member who gets involved behaves badly and disrespectfully
in the forum management. There is recourse - ooo-private. Any PPMC member has responsibility
to the project and the ASF. Assuming that this proposal passes the Site and Forum Admins will
be PPMC members and have such recourse available.

You ought to allow any PPMC member to perform any oversight they deem necessary within the
rules and culture of the admins. It is a responsibility of a (P)PMC to perform oversight.
Any of us should be able to check on others.

Regards,
Dave