incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Role of ASF board (was Re: [Discuss] Lost in translation)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:54:05 GMT
Hi Shane,

Le 5 sept. 11 à 18:22, Shane Curcuru a écrit :

> Ha!  Ross beat me to it!
>
> Indeed, the role of the board at the ASF is strictly
> organizational. Technical decisions on any project (or podling) at
> the ASF are up to the (P)PMC running that project.  PMCs are made
> up of individuals - corporations are never invited to be on a PMC
> or other Apache body.

Ok, I see better now.

Maybe unrelated, but since some key legacy OpenOffice.org developers,
initialy contributing to Apache OpenOffice.org got hired by .. say
some other companies, I really wonder until which point, a Company
can act and disturb things.

> The board does not get into technical decisions; nor do the Members
> of the ASF, unless - as Ross says - they're acting as individuals
> on a project.  Even there, Members need to earn commit rights on
> each project separately, just like everyone else.

Very sane rule.

> For a little bit of perspective on what the ASF is, see my post:
>
>   http://communityovercode.com/2011/09/apache-by-the-numbers/
>
> The only part of that Apache by the Numbers post that the board
> directly works with is the Corporate section.  As for the rest,
> it's the People who make up the Communities that write some Code
> (using Websites and Mailing Lists) to serve Users.  The only reason
> for the Corporate section there is to provide a legal place to
> stick all of this stuff that's secure and independent from outside
> commercial influence.  Oh, and to ensure our servers keep running!
>
> Although it's rather dry and boring, the official description of
> the role of the Board at the ASF is quite accurate:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/

Thank you very much : like Ross's one, your post is extremely
important and brings a lot of information I didn't catch before (not
being a native speaker is really an issue either),

Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Education Project: