incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:34:31 GMT
On 04/09/2011, at 2:40, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> To help prioritize the list migration efforts, I've collected numbers
> from the legacy OOo lists.  Looking at 2011 posts, year to date, these
> are the average posts/day for the most-used lists.
>
> I've arbitrarily cut-off the lost at lists having more than one post
> every other day.  There are 332 lists overall that I could find, most
> of them getting little to no traffic.   To put these numbers in
> perspective note that our ooo-dev list averages 59 posts per day. So
> we know what that traffic feels like.   If we add up all of the top
> 100 OOo lists, excluding the Bugzilla notifications, they add up to 62
> posts/day average.
>
> So I think this argues strongly for list consolidation.  Direct all
> user-related lists to ooo-users and project-related lists to ooo-dev.
>
> List Posts/day
> org.openoffice.allbugs    54.8
> org.openoffice.users    9.0
> org.openoffice.de.users    7.9
> org.openoffice.de.dev    4.1
> org.openoffice.fr.users    3.6
> org.openoffice.it.utenti    3.2
> org.openoffice.dev    3.2
> org.openoffice.user-faq.authors    2.9
> org.openoffice.discuss    2.5
> org.openoffice.l10n.dev    1.6
> org.openoffice.dba.needsconfirm    1.3
> org.openoffice.es.discuss_es    1.2
> org.openoffice.marketing.dev    1.2
> org.openoffice.api.dev    1.1
> org.openoffice.ja.discuss    1.0
> org.openoffice.releases    0.9
> org.openoffice.allcvs    0.9
> org.openoffice.qa.dev    0.9
> org.openoffice.es.dev    0.9
> org.openoffice.fi.users    0.9
> org.openoffice.distribution.dev    0.8
> org.openoffice.cws-announce    0.8
> org.openoffice.br-pt.usuarios    0.7
> org.openoffice.nl.gebruikers    0.7
> org.openoffice.es.users    0.7
> org.openoffice.it.localizzazione    0.7
> org.openoffice.distribution.cdrom    0.6

IMO, looking at traffic on 2011 lists gives a false impression, at least when averaged. I
can only speak for the two active lists at documentation (dev and authors), but they are quite
active when we are working on docs for a release but very quiet at other times. And authors
is now further skewed because I've been asking people to leave that list for a new list at
ODFAuthors, in preparation for shutdown of the OOo lists.

BTW, I'm fascinated that there is traffic listed for org.openoffice.user-faq.authors, because
I thought that list had been closed when org.openoffice.documentation.authors was started,
several years ago. Perhaps the former was renamed for public consumption.

--Jean