incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Having New Committers also be on the PPMC
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:01:05 GMT

On 30 Sep 2011, at 15:58, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>> What is the actual current harm you are seeking to correct, Rob? I had assumed this
sort of lock-down would wait until graduation from the incubator once it was clear what worked
and what didn't.

> Simon, I'm a PPMC member.  I try to avoid future harm, not just deal
> with "actual current harm".  It is called oversight.

My concern was that creating of closed rule-sets before actual problems present themselves
can also lead to inefficiency. The principle is sometimes called "YAGNI". I believe my question
was reasonable and polite and I would welcome a reply in the same tone.

Thanks

S.