incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:24:07 GMT
Hi Simon,

On Monday, 2011-09-12 13:31:13 +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:

> >> The reality is likely to be somewhere in-between. For example, the PT-BR localisation
of OOo was the subject of extensive discussion in Portuguese about exactly how to translate
various aspects of the UI, none of which would be of great relevance to English-speakers but
which was still development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.

> > Let me clarify "different version" I meant significantly different,
> > not just a translation.
>
> You say "just a translation" but the debate on the PT-BR version led to two competing
releases for a time, with an impact on the community there which lingers to this day. Localisation
of a consumer application is never "just a translation" as might happen to the strings in
a server project; substantial end-user decisions are debated, negotiated and agreed by thoughtful
developers.

Actually the pt-BR case is different from other "just" localized
releases in that due to a trademark dispute ("Open Office" was a 3rd
party trademark in Brazil) they couldn't even name it OpenOffice.org.
BrOffice.org was the result (today it's BrOffice using LibreOffice), and
(admittedly severe if you know the story) translation issues added to
that. BrOffice(.org) is a very strong brand and community, probably the
largest and most influential OOo/LibO community in the world.

See "The Saga of BrOffice.org" in
http://wiki.broffice.org/attachment/wiki/revista/ingles/RB-ED001-EN.pdf?format=raw

Also interesting read (not related to BrOffice) "Brazil and Open Source"
http://www.charlesleadbeater.net/cms/xstandard/Brazil_Open_Source.pdf

  Eike