incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Fix me: Abnormalities during bootstrap
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:04:52 GMT
Hi Joost,

On Saturday, 2011-09-10 15:00:50 +0200, Joost Andrae wrote:

> >>After starting the build process on my Win7 64bit notebook (dual core
> >>Intel 2.8 Ghz with 8 GB memory) it quite often stopped but rebuilding
> >>went always fine (until now; I'm still compiling binfilter). I thought
> >>it might be useful to implement a watchdog process watching
> >>stderr/stdout that restarts dmake as soon as the build breaks but it
> >>needs to interpret the error thrown.
> >
> >Probably you have been hit by the well-known bug in GNU Make 3.81 that
> >lets it core-dump at times. This needs to be solved, the developers of
> >Libre Office have gained some experience with that.
>
> GNU Make 3.8.1 is installed on my machine but I thought that dmake
> is always used instead ?

Not in the new gbuildified modules. Best to use a self-baked make 3.82,
available from http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/make/

Check if the breaks occur in dmake'd modules or in gbuild'ed modules,
the easily identifiable difference is that in gbuild modules there are
Module_*.mk files in the modules' roots.

> >>Documentation at
> >>http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
> >>was really helpful despite I had to disable ATL
> >
> >If you used VC Express: IIRC the documentation mentions that this is
> >necessary in that case.
>
> Yes it is MSVC++ Express 2008 using Cygwin.

There may be some issues with make 3.82 in cygwin, give it a try.

> btw. I wonder about the low CPU load during compile job (max. 50%).
> Is there a way to allow dmake to parallelize compile jobs ?

cd instsetoo_native && build --all -P3 -- -P2

for example creates 3 build processe in different directories, each
spawning a dmake with 2 parallel targets, so up to 6 jobs.

  Eike