incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [repo] External sources, ICU
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:54:17 GMT
Hi Mathias,

On Saturday, 2011-09-10 00:11:55 +0200, Mathias Bauer wrote:

> >> If we can be sure about the IP situation, we should at least add
> >> copyright headers to the files, shouldn't we? Or put a license file into
> >> the repository.
> >
> > I'm confused now. The breakiterator data files _have_ copyright headers.
> > Copyright IBM. Wasn't this what it is all about? Or do you mean we
> > should add where they originated from, ICU?
>
> Not all files in the module i18npool have copyright headers. For
> example, see the data files in collator or indexentry. When we talked
> about that some weeks ago you mentioned all of them came from ICU. Did I
> misunderstand you?

Apparently yes, only all breakiterator data is based on ICU files.

The collator data files were contributed either by the Sun Globalization
team (all CJK files) and have a Sun copyright header, or by OOo members,
in which case a comment only states for which language/script the data
is. Unfortunately hg log shows only the CWS integration commit comment,
not the real commits that happened on the CWS, otherwise one could even
dig out associated issue numbers and probably would find there the
original contributors. Anyway, all submissions should have happened
under JCA/SCA and thus are covered by the SGA.

The indexentry data files were created by Karl Hong, working for the Sun
Globalization team at that time. IIRC he used the CLDR main
exemplarCharacters to generate them, see
http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/diff/summary/root.html and
individual language's charts, and added the index information. For CLDR
data the applicable license is the Unicode Terms of Use, see
http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads and
http://unicode.org/copyright.html#Exhibit1
The Unicode copyright notice is included in
readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html

  Eike