incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [OT] What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 06:29:49 GMT
At the present time Hagar has chosen to appear under a pseudnym for what seem to him good reasons.
 Members of the Forum on this list accept ths persona and have no doubt about the postings
to this list from that persona being genuine.  There is no requirement _at this time_ for
him to appear _in propria persona_, but when and if the rules require him to disclose a real
name he must conform to such rules or vanish; I have no doubt he understands that. The Apache
regulations to which he must conform at a certain stage provide for privacy in exceptional
cases; it is premature to invoke these at this stage as they do not cover this list, and even
more premature to speculate as to whether their privacy clause might be invoked.

Andrew Pitonyak has pointed out the intrusion using a real name can be to a Forum volunteer's
personal life; I have sketched this out also in another posting.  In fact, even with email
such intrusion can arise. I used post over a full sig of personal name, physical address and
contact numbers; I used get support calls on another matter in the middle of the night from
people who don't understand time zones so had to remove contact numbers; I was later adviced
by central police services that it was better policy to disclose minimal information in a
sig to help obviate identity theft.

As with Andrew Pitonyak's "John" person, I also know people who use and are known by names
different to their given name, some of whom have been active on the Irish political and social
scene at highest levels; sometimes it is a mark of the closeness of friendship that one knows
a person's "secret" names.  Perhaps Hagar and eric b have not yet reached this happy stage
:-)

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>