incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [repo] External sources, ICU (was: Who wants to build OpenOffice?)
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 00:41:09 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Wednesday, 2011-09-07 14:19:50 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> > I don't see why the current ICU 4.0.1 needed to be updated,
> > what "issues with headers" are you referring?
>
> I am not sure exactly when the ICU license changed but
> the first ICU versions had a restrictive license.

Well, ICU 1.8.1 and later don't, see
http://userguide.icu-project.org/icufaq#TOC-How-is-the-ICU-licensed-

> We have some code from ICU in the tree, Matthias'
> ApacheMigration list has:
>
> - get new break iterator data from current ICU

That wouldn't change anything, our break iterator data has the same
IBM copyright text as the current ICU's data, for example see
http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu/trunk/source/data/brkitr/char.txt

In fact the entire ICU source is full of
"Copyright IBM ... - All Rights Reserved" without mentioning any
license, but ICU as a whole is licensed under that nonrestrictive
license mentioned above. I don't see any issue with that.

> There is also interest in using icu-regex for
> replacing the copyleft regex and the latest
> versions seem to have improved a lot.

Of course, but upgrading ICU at this stage for a 3.4 release IMHO is not
an option.

  Eike